The Parade was a 56-acre park designed by Olmsted in 1871. Redesigned by Olmsted’s son John in 1896, it became Humboldt Park and in 1977 was renamed Martin Luther King, Jr. Park. The park was originally connected to Delaware Park via the 200′ wide Humboldt Parkway similar to Bidwell Parkway on the west side. However in 1960 the parkway was torn up and the 6 rows of stately trees were cut down to make way for the 6 high speed traffic lanes the Kennsington Expressway, ripping out what was the spine of a strong working class community leaving a great divide in its place. The Science Museum is located in Martin Luther King Jr. park at what would have been the terminal vista of Humboldt Parkway.
A community calendar featuring events held within our parks. Some events are sponsored by BOPC and others by members of the community.