Young Professionals for Olmsted Parks (YPOP) Class of 2023 Applications Closed.
The Young Professionals for Olmsted Parks program is for individuals who are passionate for their historic parks, nonprofit management, fundraising, networking and making a difference in their community!
Through YPOP, I’ve connected with others who care about our parks and our community. Everyone involved brings their own professional skill set and experience to the table, giving me the opportunity to broaden my perspectives and network. These benefits, plus helping to raise funds to make our Buffalo Olmsted Parks even better, made joining YPOP a no-brainer for me.
Greg Dionne, Founder, Hookwell Consulting
Apply to the Class of 2023 today. Applications are due by Dec 31, 2022.
- To raise awareness for the mission, vision and daily work of the Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy
- To inspire the next generation of community members and leaders to value and appreciate public parks and green spaces
- To encourage the next generation of community members and leaders to engage in and support Buffalo’s nonprofit sector
Expectations of being a YPOP participant
- Attend YPOP events
- Be willing to learn, network, have fun!
- Actively participate and engage with your fellow YPOP participants
- Be willing to have cultural humility and support the Conservancy’s commitment to inclusion
- Be willing to plan and execute a fundraising campaign/event that has a minimum goal of $500
Are you looking to network and learn more about nonprofit work?
- Kickoff Party
- Olmsted 101 and 201: History & Fun!
- Volunteer in your parks
- Panel Discussions
- Networking opportunities
- Full System Park Tour
- Nonprofit Takeovers – see below!
- Olmsted Board Meet & Greets … and more!
- Program duration: February 2023 – October 2023
- Suggested age range: 25 – 40
- $250 program fee: To help cover the cost of the program, we encourage participants to request your employer to cover the fee. As a form of appreciation, BOPC will thank your company on social media and on the YPOP website. If you are unable to cover the application fee, scholarships are available upon request. Please indicate your interest in the application form
- Accommodations can be made upon request to ensure accessibility (e.g. interpretation, translation, mobility assistance)
- Maximum of 20 participants: To ensure the best possible experience for every participant, there will be a maximum of 20 participants for the Class of 2023
- Applications are due by December 31, 2022
- After the application period, BOPC will reach out to applicants for an interview in the last two weeks of December and the first week of January
April Nonprofit Takeover: Gobike
Championing active mobility in Western New York
Gobike works to ensure public space belongs to all people and accommodates all types of mobility. From our road safety education to infrastructure planning to our advocacy campaigns, we hope to create a transportation system that supports everyone, everywhere, every way. We envision a happy, healthy, and connected city where every person is able to get safely and easily where they need and want to go—no matter how they choose to get there.
The YPOP Class of 2023 will have the opportunity to learn and engage with Gobike in April 2023.
June Nonprofit Takeover: The Buffalo History Museum
Experiencing history with you
The Buffalo History Museum has been Western New York’s premier historical organization since 1862. We are the keepers of the authentic stories that make our community unique. Our collections, exhibits, and programs tell the stories of the people, events, and movements that demonstrate Western New York’s essential place in shaping American history.
The YPOP Class of 2023 will have the opportunity to experience and learn about the museum’s work in June 2023.
Frequently Asked Questions
We will be accepting 20 participants for the Class of 2023.
No! We encourage all to apply who are passionate about their historic parks, nonprofit management, fundraising, networking and making a difference in their community.
The $250 entry fee will only be due once accepted into the program. There is no fee to apply for the program. The program entry fee helps cover costs to run the nine (9) month YPOP program such as; venue costs, food and beverage, volunteer event supplies, guest speakers and more!
Yes! Your current company/organization can cover your program fee. To acknowledge their commitment to you and our parks, they will be listed on the website and mentioned on social media.
Of course! We won’t leave you hanging, we promise. As part of the YPOP program, there will workshops to provide you with opportunities to learn about Fundraising in the nonprofit world, Board Participation, Conservancy staff, etc.
YPOP events will occur either in the early part of the morning, at lunch hour or after work hours (after 5pm). All events are subject to change and will move to a virtual format, if needed.
We completely understand that life happens and everyone is busy, so you will be allowed to miss one mandatory event. You will be given the complete schedule of events during the interview process in November/December. We hope that all YPOP participants will be dedicated throughout the entire program.
Yes! We will discuss opportunities for you to stay involved — whether that’s joining a committee, volunteering in the parks, volunteering during a fundraising event or joining the YPOP Alumni Group.