Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is committed to diversity in the workplace. Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Position Title: Park Foreperson I
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 – $20.50 per hour
Work Location: In person
Reports To: District Supervisor
Supervises: 1 – 10 employees
Requirements: City of Buffalo residency, valid NYS Driver’s License
The Park Foreperson is responsible for the operational management of their assigned area(s). They lead the work efforts of staff, volunteers and/or workforce labor involved in the daily maintenance and work to ensure compliance with the performance standards of the park system. This position is part of the Operations Department and reports directly to the District Supervisor.
This is a full-time position working 37.5 hours per week with non-exempt status according to the Fair Labor Standards Act. Overtime hours may be required at certain times, with supervisor approval.
This position is Class 1 according to the Conservancy’s employee handbook and as such benefits include the following:
- The Conservancy offers Medical, dental, and vision plans with an employer provided allocation toward monthly premiums. A 403(b)-retirement plan with employer match. Paid Vacation, Personal and Sick Time. In addition, employees receive up to 13 ½ paid holidays per year
- Additional Benefits include: a golf season pass for employees, as well as ongoing in-house training on various topics, flexible schedule
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the daily maintenance and operations of their assigned areas;
- Leads and oversees the work efforts of staff, volunteers and/or workfare labor, and ensures work assignments, as set by the District Supervisor, are being met;
- Monitors performance and safety standards, and leads by example with quality of work;
- Is flexible with maintenance or workload revisions given changing priorities, weather, or critical need situations;
- Coordinates and communicates with other staff as to turf maintenance, facilities/buildings, specialty gardens, etc.;
- Assists with special events preparation and clean-up;
- Responsible for care and use of related equipment, and reporting any incidents of repair needs immediately to the District Supervisor;
- As directed, serves as a site-liaison with the assigned City of Buffalo employee to ensure coordination of maintenance and repairs;
- As needed or directed, works side by side with any volunteers, interns, non-union and union employees (City of Buffalo), law enforcement, as well as Conservancy donors and Trustees in order to accomplish Conservancy goals and objectives;
- Attends Conservancy operational staff and safety meetings as directed.
- Aligns with the Conservancy’s commitment to creating an inclusive, equitable, and accountable working environment for all staff and park system for all park users;
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
Qualifications and Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- City of Buffalo residency within six-(6) months of hire date;
- At least 3 years of experience equivalent to job responsibilities;
- Holding a CDL license is a plus;
- Experience and proven history of quality and effective teamwork, with an ability to motivate others and produce effective results;
- Knowledge of preferred methods and techniques for the maintenance and upkeep as to Olmsted standards for grounds, features and equipment;
- Ability to foster a team approach and work with others, assist with on-site training, and to aid in overseeing appropriate job assignments, monitoring progress, and communicating effectively and respectfully with co-workers and Supervisor;
- Specific knowledge and practice of Olmsted park maintenance and workforce policies and procedures;
- Resourcefulness in utilizing staff and/or equipment approved by the annual budget to the greatest benefit of the Conservancy;
- Willingness to learn new skills;
- Professionalism in communication, demeanor and respectful relationship building at the highest level in representing the Conservancy and fostering collaborative partnerships.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Primarily an outdoor work environment;
- Outdoor work may be performed in extreme weather conditions;
- These job duties may require an employee to drive distances between park features or locations, and to potentially operate standard to heavy machinery;
- Job duties may require an employee to bend, reach, stoop, sit, stand and/or walk for extended periods of time, as well as lift and/or move heavy objects which at times could be up to 50 lbs.;
- This position may be required to respond to emergency, on-call situations in their District at any time, and may include fieldwork throughout the Olmsted Park System;
- Flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays; depending on workload and ever-changing priorities;
- Must be able to adapt to ever-changing resources and limited budgets.
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
This job description is intended to identify and list the responsibilities, duties, and qualifications for the position. It cannot be considered all-inclusive, however, as changing organizational circumstances can result in changes to some of those responsibilities, duties, and qualifications. Further, every task supporting the functioning of the position may not be listed or not listed in detail. This job description does not constitute a contract of employment.
To apply, please email your resume to Maggie at firstname.lastname@example.org -OR- send by mail to:
Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc.
Attn: Human Resources
84 Parkside Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14214
This job description is subject to change at any time and does not constitute a contract of employment.
Updated: March 2023