Position Title: Greenskeeper
Reports To: Director of Operations
Supervises: 1 – 15
Requirements: City of Buffalo residency
Prepares and maintains golf course greens, fairways, and other golf course surfaces as required, ensuring compliance with all golfing regulations and standards. Sets course tee and cup placements, repairs irrigation systems, and operates and maintains greenskeeping equipment. Manages the care, maintenance, and renovation of all athletic fields and grounds, establishes and implements grounds/landscape development and maintenance goals, policies and procedures. Ensures adherence to all relevant regulations, guidelines, and standards for athletic fields. This position is non-exempt according to the Fair Labor Standards Act and the NYS Department of Labor rules and regulations. The workweek includes flexible schedules depending on the workload, with some weekend and holiday work. This position may be required to respond to emergency, on-call situations and may include fieldwork throughout the Olmsted Parks System. Greenskeepers are responsible for ensuring proper completion of appropriate records, including incident reports, disciplinary grievances, reports as to code of conduct, and timesheets for all employees within their area. They set an example, working hands on with their crews and must conform to, enforce and assist in formulating organizational rules, policies and procedures, safety protocols and dress and grooming standards as designated in the Employee Handbook of the Conservancy, and Safety Procedures Manual.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sets golf course to include cutting cups, setting tees, repairing greens, raking bunkers, and mowing greens and fairways.
- Maintains golf course, including bunkers, greens, and tee boxes; mows bunker faces, prunes trees, performs pest control.
- Maintains and repairs irrigation systems.
- Assists in special construction projects as required.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies and promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Oversees assigned personnel, which includes assigning work, work allocation, training and problem resolution, evaluating performance and making recommendations for personnel actions, and motivating employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Supervises the conversion and protection of athletic fields during special events.
- Restores fields damaged by weather, use, or other conditions.
- Develops and implements plans for the successful maintenance of all athletic fields and grounds. Assists with ordering materials and budget review for turf/athletic fields.
- Attends BOPC operational staff meetings, as requested.
- Any and all other duties as assigned by management.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- At least 5 years of experience equivalent to job responsibilities, including golf course experience.
- Pesticide Applicator License, with knowledge of fertilizer and/or pesticide applications.
- Must be able to obtain State of New York Pesticide License in Ornamental and Turf Pest Control within 3 months of hire date.
- CDL license is preferred.
- Knowledge of USGA regulations regarding course settings, marking sports fields, golf equipment repairs, standards for athletic fields, and reel sharpening experience.
- Ability to identify turf pests and institute turf grass maintenance and treatment.
- Knowledge of pest management guidelines and standards.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Knowledge of golf course maintenance activities to include placement of tees and pins, irrigation techniques, and turf care.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to foster a team approach and cooperative work environment.
- Primarily outdoor hands-on work. May perform in extreme weather conditions. Some office or paperwork required.
- These job duties require an employee to bend, reach, stoop, stand and/or walk for extended periods, as well as lift and/or move heavy objects at times up to 50 lbs.
- These job duties may require an employee to drive distances between park features or locations, and to potentially operate standard to heavy machinery.
- Must be able to adapt to ever changing resources and limited budget.
- This position may be required to respond to emergency, on-call situations within its District at any time, and may include fieldwork throughout the Olmsted Park System.
This job description is subject to change at any time. This job description does not constitute a contract of employment.
To download a PDF of the job description, click here.
Highly motivated candidates who are committed to excellence should submit a cover letter and resume to Melissa – HR Department: 84 Parkside Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14214 or email Melissa@bfloparks.org.
We thank all applicants for your interest!
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is committed to diversity in the workplace. Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.