Position Title: District Supervisor
Reports To: Director of Operations
Supervises: 2 – 15 full and/or part-time employees
Requirements: City of Buffalo residency
NYS Driver License
There are (4) four District Supervisor positions at the BOPC. District 1: Riverside, Front, Prospect/Columbus, Days. District 2: South, Cazenovia, Heacock. District 3: MLK, all Circles and Parkways. District 4: Delaware Park (north/south).
Supervisors are responsible for the operational management of the parks, features, and the employees within their assigned District. They oversee all park operations staff and labor involved in the day to day operation and maintenance, they provide mentoring/training, and hold responsibility over the equipment upkeep and overall park performance standards for their District. Supervisors will collaborate and give in-the-field insight on existing and proposed park projects, priorities, and scheduled improvements for operational considerations and successful implementation. They will also work with the Director of Operations and Director of Park Administration on the budgeting implications of their District, including overtime, and will perform an annual needs assessment as well as related full-time staff/labor performance reviews.
This position is part of the Senior Operations Team and reports directly to the Director of Operations. This position is non-exempt according to the Fair Labor Standards Act and the NYS Department of Labor rules and regulations, as defined by pay grade. The workweek includes flexible schedules depending on the workload, with some weekend and holiday work. The position responds to emergency, on-call situations within their district and may include fieldwork throughout the Olmsted Park System.
District Supervisors write-up and review all incident reports, disciplinary grievances and reports as to code of conduct, and approve all timesheets for employees within their district. They set an example, working hands-on with their crews, and must conform to and enforce organizational rules, policies and procedures, safety protocols, dress and grooming standards, as designated in the Employee Handbook of the Conservancy, and Safety Procedures Manual.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for directing the day-to-day maintenance and operations of their assigned Olmsted District through the implementation of approved and assigned park management and safety best practices; specifically pertaining to expectations and/or standards per City of Buffalo contract and BOPC management requirements.
- Manages the District labor force including the assigned Park Foreman and related Seasonal employees or related other workers, and coordinates activities by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, reporting incidents, and directing the work of subordinate employees.
- Monitors workload, performance and all safety standards, and quality of work, to make sure that it is being completed according to schedule and with appropriate efficiency and with compliance; coordinates with the Director of Operations in making appropriate scheduling or maintenance revisions given changing priorities, weather, or critical need situations.
- Coordinates with related operational staff as to turf maintenance, facilities, equipment, specialty gardens and horticultural services to ensure their District parklands and features are receiving scheduled care, service and attention to meet public expectations. Responds to 311 call requests as assigned.
- Responsible for oversight, care, assignment, and repair of related equipment used in the District, reporting and monitoring repairs, and communicating with the Director of Operations on equipment needs, aging, storage, inventory concerns, safety practices, abuse/theft or any other equipment related issues.
- Serves as District liaison with local law enforcement in building community/neighborhood relationships. As needed, serves as a workforce site-liaison with the City of Buffalo Public Works Department employees to ensure effective coordination of communication, maintenance and repairs.
- As needed, works side by side with any volunteers, interns, non-union paid staff, union employees (City of Buffalo), block clubs, as well as Conservancy donors and Trustees in order to accomplish Conservancy goals and objectives.
- Assists, as coordinated by the Director of Operations and Director of Park Administration, in reviewing the Operations annual maintenance budget, labor, equipment and supply requirements, and in forecasting special needs, goals and requirements of each District for optimal performance.
- Participates with Director of Operations in annual employee reviews pertaining to District assigned staff.
- Attends bi-monthly or quarterly assigned coordination meetings with Director of Operations, Director of Park Administration, and Executive Director.
- Expected to attend at least one professional improvement/educational session annually in the field of park management/maintenance/horticulture.
- Any and all other duties as assigned by management.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- At least 7 years of experience equivalent to job responsibilities.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must have or obtain a CDL within 3 months of hire and maintain it as long as they are a District Supervisor.
- Other related certifications or licensures are encouraged.
- Desire to oversee multiple parks, facilities and employees, and be involved at a higher level in the development, image and results of each District.
- Proven leadership experience and track record of quality and effective employee management; desire to be in a senior role with enhanced responsibilities, and to proactively lead a District team of employees.
- Knowledge of, and willingness to develop, preferred and professional methods, best practices, techniques and requirements for system maintenance and upkeep as to Olmsted standards for facilities, grounds, gardens, features and equipment.
- Ability to instruct with hands-on engagement to direct, motivate and mentor employees for their continued growth and productivity. Willingness to self-improve, learn and increase own performance or related credentials.
- Ability to form and lead a team, make appropriate job assignments, monitor progress, discipline as needed, monitor staff progress, and communicate effectively and respectfully with Senior Staff.
- Capacity to lead by pitching in and to quickly resolve problems and formulate solutions that are equitable, efficient and practical. Able to make key decisions swiftly, and is consistent at following policies and procedures.
- Primarily outdoor hands-on work, and may perform under extreme weather conditions. Some office or paperwork; depending.
- These job duties require an employee to bend, reach, stoop, stand and/or walk for extended periods, as well as lift and/or move heavy objects at times up to 50 lbs.
- These job duties may require an employee to drive distances between park features or locations, and/or operate heavy machinery.
- The position responds to emergency, on-call situations in their District at any time, and may include fieldwork throughout the Olmsted Park System.
This job description is subject to change at any time. This job description does not constitute a contract of employment.
To download a PDF of the job description, click here.
Highly motivated candidates who are committed to excellence should submit a cover letter and resume to Melissa – HR Department: 84 Parkside Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14214 or email Melissa@bfloparks.org.
We thank all applicants for your interest!
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is committed to diversity in the workplace. Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.