“Your Olmsted Parks are a tremendously valuable resource during this Covid-19 health crisis. The lungs of our city are here, open to everyone with equal access. Please use your parks responsibly and respectfully, and follow the health and safety guidelines prescribed by the State, County and City.” – Stephanie Crockatt, Executive Director
Out of common courtesy and social responsibility, we remind you to:
- Put trash in receptacles or take it home with you.
- Please keep dogs on leash and clean up after them, as per city ordinance.
- Look around and be mindful of everyone in the parks, and practice social distancing.
- Wear a mask if closer than 6’ apart.
- If you are not feeling well, please stay home.
Our operational team is here to continue their parks work, however they are not in a position of public enforcement. Olmsted staff are following our safety guidelines for outdoor operations, and appreciate your assistance in keeping us all safe and healthy. Your Olmsted Parks have served us for generations, and only together can we stay Buffalo strong.
In accordance to the COVID-19 phased reopening, please refer to this timeline for park amenities that are open for public use. Click on each of the Phases below for more details.
- Golf, tennis, non-motorized boating (Hoyt Lake rentals), and approved outdoor concessions are open now.
- MLK Jr. Park splash pad is open daily, 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., weather dependent. Click here to learn more.
- The Croquet lawn at Delaware Park is available for rent. To make reservation, please contact Patty Wolfsohn at [email protected] or (716) 838-1249, ext. 11.
- Park buildings remain closed to the public, including shelter bathrooms/comfort stations. The only public buildings which are open but restricted under NYS mandates for operations are The Terrace at Delaware Park (Marcy Casino), Cazenovia golf house and the Crotty Casino daycare. These facilities are permitted to operate with contracted and insured vendors who have submitted and received acknowledgement of their COVID NYS safety plans.
- Picnic shelters (25 persons or less) are available for rent. To make reservations, please contact Arlene Mustafa at (716) 851-9670.
- City of Buffalo is providing and maintaining portable toilets in locations near shelter rentals.
- As of July 6th, in addition to the currently allowed Golf, Tennis, and Boating, Baseball and Soccer will be allowed but leagues must submit safety plans to the City of Buffalo, and receive permits and reservations. Please call (716) 851-9694 or visit the City of Buffalo’s website.
- As of July 6th, the splash pad at Cazenovia Park is open daily 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., weather dependent.
- Basketball, football, rugby and any other contact related sports are still on hold until further notice.
- As of July 10th Playgrounds and outdoor gym equipment will re-open. Play and gym equipment will not be sterilized, and users are reminded to wash hands or use hand sanitizer before and after play, to monitor congestion and wear masks responsibly, and if sick stay home. Signage will be placed at each location.
- Delaware and South Park ring roads remain closed until further notice.
*The Conservancy is currently unaware of when public buildings or restrooms will be open to the public, or when groups would be allowed to gather. Please refer to the City of Buffalo’s website for further updates and details on COVID-19.
In partnership with the City of Buffalo, the following park maintenance priorities are effective immediately. Click on each of the priorities below to learn more.
- The parks remain open for passive uses.
- Park users are asked to observe proper hygiene, and to take appropriate precautions with wipes, hand sanitizer, social distancing, etc.
Delaware Park’s and South Park's Ring Road are CLOSED to vehicular traffic as part of Buffalo’s continuing public safety effort to promote social distancing to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- By limiting the number of vehicles traveling and parking on Ring Road, park space will be maximized for passive uses like walking, jogging, and biking.
All public park facilities and buildings including restrooms are CLOSED, with exceptions approved for phased reopening noted below.
- Only Conservancy personnel will be allowed in Olmsted parks buildings as necessary.
- The Terrace restaurant at the Marcy Casino, the Cazenovia golf house, and Crotty Casino daycare have reopened with an acknowledged NYS Covid-19 safety plan.
- Picnic Shelters for groups under 25 may be reserved and rented through the City of Buffalo.
Trash and garbage collection in parks to continue as standard. Park users should exercise social responsibility by disposing their own trash and leashing and picking up after their pets.
- Trash and garbage collection in the parks will continue as standard.
- However, as a measure to reduce risks to park workers, patrons are asked to dispose trash in totes found along park road and trail edges, or if trash is brought in, to please take it back out with you and dispose of it at home.
- As per ordinance, please keep pets on leash, and remove/dispose of all pet excrement in proper receptacles.
Organized contact sports and major park events, festivals or large gatherings in the parks are NOT allowed.
- For updates and information on any events that are typically held in an Olmsted Park, please reach out directly to the event organizers.
Before heading outdoors into your parks and public spaces, please refer to the following resources to stay informed and educated on protecting yourself and your loved ones:
1. COVID-19 Outdoor Guidance by the NYS Department of Health
2. Using Parks and Open Space While Maintaining Social Distancing by the National Recreation and Park Association
Cultural Neighbors Opening Schedule
The Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens will reopen to the public on July 15, 2020 with early access to members on July 8.
The Buffalo History Museum will open July 29th to members and on Saturday, August 1st to the broader community. New Opening Hours are: Wednesday to Saturday, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The Buffalo Museum of Science will reopen on July 10, Friday – Sunday, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm each day. Only second floor exhibits will be available, including Golden Mummies of Egypt, presented by M&T Bank. All purchases and reservations must be made in advance online at www.sciencebuff.org, or by calling 716-896-5200.